Sunday, January 24, 2016

Countdown to the Finish!





2016

God and health willing, on March 19, 2016 I will be completing my 50th half marathon in Auburn, Alabama.

Everyone is bewildered when I tell them I'm saving Alabama for last. Alabama - the state that is less than 2 hours from my house in Atlanta. The state I visit frequently for games and job recruiting. Alabama is right there. I didn't save Alabama for last for myself, but I saved it for my friends and my family who have been there to cheer me on from the beginning.

I have had so many memorable moments and have met some incredible people along the way during this journey and it just wouldn't feel the same if I didn't have you all on the sidelines as I crossed the finish line on the 50 yard line of Jordan Hare Stadium to complete my 50th race.

Over the next month, I am challenging everyone to check out the runauburn.com website and try to set a goal. From a 1 mile fun run/walk all the way up to the half marathon, they have a distance for everyone. If you are looking for a new years resolution, why not this? Why not run/walk your first 5K?

In the weeks to come, I will add more detail to this post but if you are interested in making the trek to Auburn, Alabama here are a few travel/race details below.

#DREAMBIG

Transportion:

  • From Atlanta airport: 107 miles down I-85 South (1hour 40min)
  • From Birmingham airport: 116 miles down Highway 280 (2hour 15min)
  • From Montgomery airport: 62 miles up Highway I-85 North (1 hour)


Hotels:

  • Auburn University Hotel and Conference Center: Most convenient option to downtown Auburn and the race. Walkable to downtown and campus. www.auhcc.com
  • Courtyard by Marriott Auburn
  • Hilton Garden Inn Auburn/Opelika
  • Sleep Inn & Suites Auburn: Stayed here for a week once during sorority rush
  • Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Auburn - University Area

Activities:
  • For all of you golfers, we do have a Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail Course in Auburn if you want to play that weekend
  • Auburn Baseball plays Texas A&M on Friday and Saturday (times TBD) - these games are usually a fun time!
  • Bars. 

Race Dates:
Auburn will be in the tail end of Spring Break so it should be fairly quiet compared to usual.

Friday, March 18, 2016: 

  • Arrive in Auburn and explore - I am happy to give campus tours if you all would like!
  • Happy Hour / Open House - TBD - The Ahner Family would love to host a heavy appetizer gathering with everyone to give people a place to meet up as they get into town before the big race. Still trying to decide on the best location -- feel free to make recommendations!

Saturday, March 19, 2016: 

  • Sign-in begins at 6:30am Saturday. The 1/2 marathon begins at 7:15am, the 5K at 7:30am, the 10K at 8am, and the Fun Run begins at 8:30AM. 
  • Since I will be more interested in enjoying the last run for fun and not speed, I would expect a finish somewhere between 9:15-9:30am. 
  • After the race, I do not know our current plans but it involves some sort of celebration either midday or night time. First drinks on --- someone related to me.


I will be in town through Sunday but feel free to head out whenever!

You all should have my contact information but if not, shoot me an email if you have any questions! ahnerac@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment